50+ Expo in Silver Spring, Md.
50+ Expo in Springfield, Va.
Exhibitors and Resources • Keynote Speaker • Health Screenings • Flu Shots • Giveaways • Door Prizes
The keynote speaker at both locations will be Lt. Joe Kenda, star of “Homicide Hunter,” the #1 TV show on the Investigation Discovery channel. Kenda is a retired homicide detective and will share highlights from the cases he investigated, as well as how he made a career change when he was in his 60s. He will also offer personal safety tips.
Grand Prize (1) - One winner will win a 10-day trip for two to CHINA! Courtesy of Nexus Holidays.
*CONSUMER DISCLOSURE: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. One (1) Grand Prize, retail value $3259, will be awarded. Grand Prize is a 10-day, 8-night trip for two to China, including airfare from the Washington area and within China, hotels, most meals, guided tours, tips, taxes and fees. Register at either Expo to win. Odds of winning depend on number of entries. Official Rules available at Expos and at bottom of this page.
Other Prizes to be announced here or at events...
Health Screenings/Flu Shots
The expos will also feature free health screenings — including blood pressure, bone density, balance, vascular and glaucoma screenings — exercise demonstrations, and flu vaccines, free with a Medicare card.
Tech Cafe (Silver Spring Location Only)
free one-on-one computer and device mentoring by high school students.
TRIP TO CHINA DOOR PRIZE DRAWING
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS DOOR PRIZE DRAWING. OFFER VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
1. Door Prize Drawing Period/Deadlines. The Trip To China Door Prize Drawing (“Door Prize Drawing”) begins on Sept. 11, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time (“EDT”) and ends on Sept. 25, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. EDT (the “Door Prize Drawing Entry Period”). All entries must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. EDT, on Sept. 25, 2016.
2. Entry Procedures. To enter the Door Prize Drawing, entrants must visit the Beacon 50+ Expo located at Silver Spring Civic Center in Silver Spring, Md. on Sept. 11, 2016, or the Beacon 50+ Expo located at Springfield Town Center in Springfield, Va. on Sept. 25, 2016 (the “Expos”), and fill out an official entry form in person. All entries become the property of The Beacon Newspapers, Inc., the Sponsorof this Door Prize Drawing.
3. Limit of one (1) Door Prize Drawing entry per person. No photocopies, facsimiles, or other mechanical reproductions of official entries are allowed. Entrants that violate this rule may be disqualified.
4. Eligibility Requirements. This Door Prize Drawing is open to persons who are permanent residents in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia who: (i) are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry in the Door Prize Drawing, (ii) complete an official entry form in accordance with the Entry Procedures above, and (iii) meet and comply with the requirements for winning set forth below in Winning the Door Prize. The Door Prize winner will be notified either by mail, email, and/or phone. The winner will be required to sign a waiver releasing Sponsor from liability. The Door Prize Drawing is not open to people under 18 years of age at the time of entry, or to officers, directors, or employees of Sponsor, or its affiliates, licensees, parents, subsidiaries, divisions, or members of the immediate family or household of each. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related. Any false information provided within the context of the Door Prize Drawing by any entrant concerning identity, postal address, telephone number, or non-compliance with these rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Door Prize Drawing. By entering, entrant agrees to abide and be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Door Prize Drawing.
5. The Door Prize. One Door Prize will be given away. The Door Prize is a 10-day, 8-night trip to China for two, offered by Nexus Holidays, which includes airfare from the Washington area, airfare within China, hotels, most meals, guided tours, tips, taxes and fees.The total retail value of the Door Prize is estimated to be three thousand two hundred and fifty-nine dollars ($3,259). The odds of winning the Door Prize will depend upon the number of eligible entries received for the entire Door Prize Drawing Entry Period. The Door Prize is not transferable, redeemable for cash, or exchangeable for any other prizes. Sponsor reserves the right in itssole and absolute discretion to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for the Door Prize published above.
6. Winning the Door Prize. The random drawing for the winner of the Door Prizewill take place on September 26, 2016 at 3720 Farragut Ave., Suite 105, Kensington, Md., at 2:00 p.m. EDT. Entrants need not be presentto win. The Door Prize winner must sign the Release (as defined below). Door Prize Drawing winners understand and agree that Sponsor intends to publish online and possibly in print the name andphotograph of the winner. Door Prize Drawing winners understand and agree that without further compensation in order to win the Door Prize, at the time the Door Prize winner is announced, the winner will be required to sign an Eligibility Affidavit/Likeness & Liability Release (“Release”). If the Door Prize winner fails to sign the Release, or otherwise failsto comply with these Official Rules, then that person will be disqualified and an alternative Door Prize winner will be chosen by random drawing of the remaining entrants. If the alternative Door Prize winner fails to sign the Release, or otherwise failsto comply with these Official Rules, then the alternative Door Prize winner will be disqualified, and Sponsor will have the option to select a second alternative Door Prize winner or choose not to award the Door Prize. Failure to permit Sponsor to publish the Door Prize winner’s information and/or picture will automatically disqualify the winner, who immediately will forfeit the Door Prize. For name of the Door Prize winner after September 26, 2016, visit Sponsor’s website page located at: http://www.thebeaconnewspapers.com.
7. Winner’s Responsibilities.Door Prize winners are solely responsible for the reporting and payment of any tax liabilities incurred. Any expenses relating to the receipt of the Door Prize, including but not limited to expenses for travel to and from the Expo, are solely the responsibility of the Door Prize winner.
8. General Conditions.This Door Prize Drawing is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the sole and absolute decisions of Sponsor, and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Door Prize Drawing or these Official Rules. By participating, entrants and the Door Prize winner agree that the Sponsor, those involved in the development, production, implementation, and distribution of this promotion and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers, and agencies, and each of their directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with such entities and/or promotion shall not be liable for any and all claims, damages, losses or injuries, including any third party claims, arising from or relating to, in whole or in part, this Door Prize Drawing, including entry and participation in this Door Prize Drawing. By participating, entrants and the Door Prize winner release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and its owners, managers, officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the Door Prize or participation in any Door Prize Drawing-related activity or participation in this Door Prize Drawing. In order to receive a prize in the Door Prize Drawing, a winner is not required to purchase any goods or services, pay any money, or submit to any sales promotion effort. This Door Prize Drawing is governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland without regard to the conflicts of laws or principles thereof. If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. By participating in this Door Prize Drawing, entrants agree that the State of Maryland courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute or litigation arising from or relating to this Door Prize Drawing and that exclusive venue for any legal action shall be brought in the Courts sitting in the State of Maryland.
9. Limitations of Liability. Sponsor is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the offer or administration of this Door Prize Drawing, including but not limited to errors in advertising, the Official Rules, the selection and announcement of winners, or the distribution of the Door Prize. Sponsor is not responsible and assumes no responsibility for late, lost, misdirected, undeliverable or incomplete entries. Sponsor is not responsible and assumes no responsibility for undeliverable Door Prize notification email messages due to system errors or failures, or faulty transmissions or other telecommunications malfunctions and/or prize notifications not received resulting from any hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete or garbled computer or telephone transmission, failures, or for any problems or technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, or any combination thereof, or other telecommunications malfunctions which may limit an entrant's ability to participate in the Door Prize Drawing. Sponsor further reserves the right to modify the rules of the Door Prize Drawing in any way at any time, provided reasonable notice is given. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Door Prize Drawing or winning a prize if, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Door Prize Drawing by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices, or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor’s representatives. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process. Caution: Any attempt by an individual to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Door Prize Drawing is a violation of criminal and civil laws and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to notify the authorities and to seek damages from any such individual to the fullest extent of the law.
IN NO EVENT WILL SPONSOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES) ARISING OUT OF THIS DOOR PRIZE DRAWING.