D.C. Housing Notes – July 2019
Assisted living community to open in Bowie
Bald eagles tend to their nests on the county line between Prince George’s County and Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The birds will get some new neighbors this summer.
Tribute at Melford, a lakefront community in Bowie, Maryland, will open with 140 suites, including 104 assisted living units and 36 memory care units.
The facility, located at 17300 Medford Boulevard in Bowie, Md., includes amenities such as secure walking trails and a bistro. In addition, the entire memory care staff, from housekeepers to nurses, is certified by the National Institute for Dementia Education (NIDE).
The new community’s welcome center is located at 16800 Science Drive in Bowie and can be reached at (301) 329-5565.
Tribute Assisted Living and Memory Care locations are developments of Thrive Senior Living. In early 2020, Thrive will open Tribute at Black Hill, located in Germantown, Maryland. The community will have 140 suites for 106 assisted living units and 34 memory care.
It will be located in the Black Hill area of Germantown, a 110-acre mixed-use development that includes offices, 355 apartments, stores and a hotel. Amenities include a meeting room, garden, library, fitness center, café and an art studio.
For more information about the two Tribute communities or to schedule a tour, go to Thrivesl.com/communities.
New on-demand bus service in MoCo
No more waiting for a bus or checking schedules. Starting this summer, you can use a smartphone to reserve a ride “curb-to-curb” on a fleet of new Ride-On Flex vans operating in two test areas of Montgomery County.
Last month, the county launched a one-year pilot called “Ride On Flex,” which allows residents to schedule same-day rides within two limited districts. The on-demand vans, which seat just 11 passengers, will operate in two zones, one in Rockville and one that covers much of Wheaton and Glenmont.
Just download the mobile app to your smartphone and start scheduling pickups where and when you want. Fares are the same as Ride-On fares at the same time of day, which means seniors ride free from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays. Trips will cost no more than $2 each way, and riders can pay in cash, passes, tokens or SmarTrip cards. For more information, visit rideonflex.com.
As we noted in an earlier issue, Washington, D.C. offers the Transport DC program, which makes $5 cab rides available to people who have been “Metro Access Approved.” D.C. residents who have been approved to use this ride system can call 1-844-322-7732 to schedule a pickup at least 30 minutes in advance. For more information, call (202) 962-1100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tysons Tower celebrates renovation
In June, 150 people gathered for a ribbon-cutting to unveil the completed renovation of Tysons Tower Apartments, a rent-assisted retirement community in Vienna, Virginia.
Guests were welcome to take a tour of one of the 40-year-old building’s remodeled apartments. The renovation, which began in 2016, required the temporary relocation of 280 residents.
Dennis Phennig, president of the Fairfax Education Association Retirement Housing Corporation’s Board of Directors, which oversees the building, cut the red ribbon at the June 8 event.
With a $19 million federal loan, Phennig’s group was able to “upgrade our building and ensure rent subsidies for the next 20 years,” he said in a statement. Tenants will continue to pay 30% of their rent; the federal government provides the other 70%.
Tysons Towers Apartments is a 274-unit building for people age 62 and older. The complex has its own library, barber shop and fitness room, among other amenities.