Save money and energy with a home audit
One of the best ways to save money on energy costs is by scheduling a home audit from your local energy company. Below is information about free or low-cost audits, which may also provide you with devices to reduce energy use and cut costs this winter.
Pepco offers a discounted home energy assessment for customers in Maryland with an active account through the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program. Residential homes (single-family, townhomes or rowhomes) up to 3,000 square feet can schedule an assessment worth $400 for only $100:
- Online by filling out the form at bit.ly/PepcoAssessment
- By calling 1-866-353-5798 to request an appointment
Once you’ve scheduled your assessment, a Pepco participating contractor will come to your home to perform a comprehensive evaluation. Certain energy-saving upgrades may be performed on the spot (with your permission) at no additional cost, such as installation of:
- ENERGY STAR®-certified LED bulbs
- Faucet aerators
- Efficient-flow showerheads (fixed mount or handheld)
- Water heater pipe wrap(s)
- Smart power strips
- ShowerStart®showerhead adapters
Following the assessment, the contractor will provide you with a detailed report, including recommended improvements and available rebates for eligible measures to make your home more energy-efficient. You must select a Pepco participating contractor to perform both the assessment and eligible improvements.
Rebates range from $100 up to $7,500, depending on the estimated electric savings of eligible measures. Get up to:
- $7,500 for air sealing and insulation, heating and cooling equipment, ENERGY STAR®windows and doors, and heat pump water heaters
- $500 or $750 if done in combination with air sealing and insulation for duct sealing
- $100 per ENERGY STAR®-certified smart thermostat with professional installation, up to three devices
View the complete list of measures, requirements and rebates at bit.ly/PepcoRebates. If you still have questions, you can consult with a Pepco Energy Coach at no cost by emailing PepcoEnergyCoach@icfi.com or by calling (443) 718-4860.
Dominion Energy offers several home energy assessment and audit programs:
- Smart home program
- Virtual energy audit
- Quick energy check-up
- Manufactured housing program
- Multifamily program
To view the details for each option and whether they are suitable for your home, visit bit.ly/DominionAudit.
Dominion also offers its residential customers in Virginia living in a single-family home a full energy audit through the Residential Home Retrofit Program. A pre-qualified Dominion contractor will come to your home to perform a 2- to 4-hour whole-house energy audit.
Following the audit, you will receive recommendations and a report detailing energy-saving improvements you can make to your home. Rebates are available to help you save on any recommended improvements.
View the full rebates measures chart at bit.ly/DominionRebates. For more information or to schedule the audit, call 1-888-366-8280.
Tax credits for all
Federal tax credits up to $3,200 per year are also available for energy-efficient home improvements made from 2023 through 2032 through the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit:
- You can only claim the credit for improvements to your main home in the U.S.
- You can claim the maximum annual credit every year that you make eligible improvements until 2033.
- To qualify, home improvements must meet energy efficiency standards.
- A home energy audit of your main home may qualify you for a tax credit of up to $150.
View the full details of the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit at bit.ly/EnergyEfficientCredit.